You are here
India’s largest Sustainability Awards recognizes leaders and innovators for 2016
The 2016 Parivartan Sustainability Leadership Awards were announced in New Delhi recognizing large corporates, emerging innovators and individuals leading the charge in the sustainability space.
Mahindra Group was recognized with the coveted Leadership in Sustainability Strategy awards for integrating sustainability into their DNA and setting the bar on alignment of sustainability policies with corporate strategy, organizational design and goals.
Several innovative solutions spanning across smart resource efficiency, sustainable consumer engagement and alternate materials were recognized at the awards this time.
The awards also sought to highlight the evolving sustainability function in Indian Corporates by recognizing the distinguished Chief Sustainability Officers from Indian corporates. The awardees included stalwarts of the sustainability space such as Tony Henshaw, Chief Sustainability Officer - Aditya Birla Group; Anirban Ghosh, Vice President, Group Sustainability - Mahindra & Mahindra and Ramdas Kamath, Executive Vice President – Infosys among others.
The Grand Jury Panel included Matthew Nimetz, Founding Chair, World Resources Institute and Advisory Director, General Atlantic; Meher Pudumjee, Chairperson, Thermax; Gauri Singh, Principal Secretary, Govt. of Madhya Pradesh; Ranganath N Krishna, MD and CEO, Grundfos India and Jyoti Parikh, Executive Director, IRADe.
“The Awards have continued to grow. This year the initial outreach of the award was to 10,000 professionals, corporates and innovators and the first cut engagement was with 140+ corporates and 40+ Chief Sustainability Officers” shared Pawan Mehra, Managing Director of cKinetics and Chairperson of the Organizing Committee.
The 2016 Awards was supported by a 15 member Sector Expert Panel consisting of senior technical experts from the industry. In addition, the Public Policy Group at the Indian Institute of Management played a role in developing the framework around the category on Sustainability Strategy; and the India team of Spencer Stuart supported the category on Distinguished Chief Sustainability Officers.
Addressing the challenge of mainstreaming sustainability in Indian Industry, Jury Member Gauri Singh added, "The sustainability space is growing rapidly in India and it needs to be encouraged. It needs the commitment of the board. It needs the commitment of the people working in the companies and the entire philosophy of sustainability needs to be embedded in the DNA of the company."
Reflecting on the awards, Jury Member Meher Pudumjee said, "As Indians sustainability is already ingrained in our DNA. We don't like throwing away anything. We use it again and again. We recycle it, we reuse it. So the whole idea is already ingrained. I think sustainability has a great future in India going forward."
The Parivartan Sustainability Leadership Awards evening was hosted alongside the 6th Annual Summit of Sustainable Business Leadership Forum in New Delhi – the summit featured deep-dive tracks on sustainability strategy, water, renewables, green financing and energy efficiency and was attended by over 300 sustainability leaders and several global institutions from industrial and policy landscape.
Speaking at the Awards ceremony, KC Mehra, Chairperson of the Forum, and former jury member of the Awards said, “Parivartan Awards continues to shape Sustainability in India and encourage innovators and innovations. We hope to expand the reach and impact in the coming years. After all, knowledge only grows by sharing.”
To learn more about the Awards visit www.ParivartanAwards.in
Winners of the 2016 Parivartan Sustainability Leadership Awards
Leadership in Sustainability Strategy
Mahindra Group - As Indian conglomerates design integrate Sustainability into their DNA, the Mahindra Group sets the bar on how to align its policies with strategies, organizational design and goals.
ReMaterials was recognized in the category of Alternate Materials for developing a new wood-like material from cardboard which is used to create a strong, insulating, water and weatherproof roofing solution to replace low quality and toxic metal and cement sheet roofs.
Promoting Circular Economy Systems
The Foundation for MSME Clusters (FMC) was awarded with the award for developing a technique which solves the problem of waste slag by utilizing the solid waste (slag) generated in foundry enterprises as a raw material in production of paving blocks of different grades.
Sustainable Consumer Engagement
Orange City Water was awarded the Leadership award in Sustainable Consumer Engagement for their unique ‘Public, Private and People’ Partnership model to provide uninterrupted water supply to the city of Nagpur.
Leadership for Resource Efficiency in Operations
Schneider Electric India was recognized for tightly integrating Smart Energy Efficiency into its own DNA by using real-time monitoring systems and analytics solutions (developed in-house) to reduce its energy footprint.
Smart Resource Efficiency in Operations
Flutura was recognized for their innovative Internet of Things (IoT) solutions – Cerebra, which has found significant traction in the Indian manufacturing setting.
Distinguished Chief Sustainability Officers
- Tony Henshaw, Aditya Birla Group – Mr. Henshaw has been evangelizing Sustainability issues throughout his career. Most recently, under his leadership the Aditya Birla Group is in the process of implementing a very nuanced approach to sustainability that seeks to embed sustainability at the core of the organization.
- Anirban Ghosh, Mahindra – Mr. Ghosh is seriously looking at greening the Mahindra portfolio. Micro irrigation, solar and electric vehicles are gaining centre stage. It's around half a billion dollars turnover already and is expected to double in five years, if not earlier.
- Ramdas Kamath, Infosys – Mr. Kamath’s passion and sense of urgency landed him the job of implementing the company’s audacious green mandate in just four years, a goal unheard of in the annals of most Indian companies. Owing to his innovative efforts, Infosys also became the first Indian firm to join RE100, a global platform for companies committed to 100% renewable energy.
- Aniruddha Agnihotri, TCS – Mr. Agnihotri has been responsible for driving the objectives & targets, road map and initiatives in coordination with internal stakeholders and monitoring performance across the organization. He has had a front-row view of the changing perceptions on environmental matters within the information technology industry and knows how much the situation has changed.
- Kapilavai Narayan Rao, ACC - Mr. Rao manages sustainability for ACC in a holistic manner. He believes that it should not be done only as a compliance to regulations but must be an intrinsic part of the process and the way the company runs its’ entire business.
- Swapan Kumar, Dr. Reddy’s – Mr. Kumar has designed and launched new sustainable business strategies focused on earning trust, delivering lower carbon energy and relieving fuel poverty. He has implemented the strategy at Dr Reddy’s Labs ensuring commercial interests and sustainability is aligned.
- Aloka Majumdar, HSBC - Ms. Majumdar has been spearheading Sustainability at HSBC. She is engaged in shaping the overall sustainability strategy as well as specific responsibilities for aspects of HSBC Group’s three areas of focus: (a) Sustainable Business (b) Sustainable Operations (c) Building Sustainable Communities
- Namita Vikas, YES Bank – Ms. Vikas has spearheaded Sustainable Development and CSR, thus driving sustainability principles within YES Bank’s core operations and its value chain towards creating stakeholder value. being responsible for mainstreaming sustainability, her work involves overall sustainability management, research, triple bottom-line measurement and accounting, sustainable and socially responsible finance/investing and strategic csr.
About Parivartan Awards
Now in its 6th year, the Parivartan Sustainability Leadership Awards has become India’s large sustainability and innovation search platform. It is a discovery, showcase and engagement platform and is a flagship initiative of Sustainability Outlook. More on www.parivartanawards.in.
About the Organizer: Sustainability Outlook
An initiative incubated by cKinetics, Sustainability Outlook (www.sustainabilityoutlook.in) is a leading market access, insight and collaboration platform tracking actions related towards sustainability. It proactively promotes a data driven approach to enable action by local, regional as well as global practitioners. It primarily aims at fostering requisite discussion on the ‘growth paradox’ as it impacts emerging economies at a policy and market level. Sustainability Outlook offers a range of solutions including (a) in-depth business and policy analysis (b) tools and frameworks for enabling and promoting resource sustainability within the industry (c) expert inputs on resource usage reduction and resource efficiency measures being undertaken in industries as well as communities