You are here
4th Asia-Pacific Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation - Resilient Cities Asia Pacific Congress 2019
About Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific
Resilient Cities is the annual global platform for urban resilience and climate change adaptation. It is convened by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability and co-hosted by the World Mayors Council on Climate Change and the City of Bonn and was launched in 2010 with the goal of forging partnerships and dialogues that matter. The success of the series ‘Resilient Cities - The Annual Global Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation’ that attracts hundreds of participants to Bonn, Germany, every year since 2010 is a clear indication of how pressing the issue of adaptation and resilience is perceived among local governments worldwide.
The Asia-Pacific Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation - Resilient Cities Asia Pacific Congress (RCAP) is a response to heightened demand from the Asia Pacific Region, which encouraged ICLEI to expand the congress series to include Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific, bringing the event and the focus to the Asia-Pacific region, catering to the situation, challenges and opportunities of local governments specifically in this region. Current changes in climate, combined with rapid and often unplanned urbanisation, make Asia one of the regions of the world most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Increasing temperatures, changing precipitation patterns, intensification of extreme weather events and rising sea levels are already a reality in the region. At the same time, increasing population and spreading of human settlements in low lying, flood prone coastal areas magnify the risks coming from climate change related disasters, thus increasing the vulnerability of people, especially the urban poor, who live in hazardous areas.
Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific aims to provide an Asian platform for urban resilience and climate change adaptation where partnerships are forged and concrete dialogues are happening, with the ultimate goal of identifying solutions and creating lasting impacts for cities in the region.
The proposed objectives of the conference are:
- To share and learn about good urban resilience practices
- To show-case innovative ideas, solutions and initiatives
- To provide local governments with exposure and access to tools and processes that help mainstream resilience considerations into policy and practice
- To provide a networking platform to promote concerted and coordinated action in Asia among the main players in the field of urban resilience
- To explore tangible opportunities for creating partnerships between local governments and the private sector
- To bring together funders and cities and facilitate the match-making between available financial resources and current cities’ needs